So I finished my little creative writing project and it was a good exercise in more ways than one. It reminded me to focus on my writing skills instead of just writing. Many times when I blog I just write. Depending on what I write I sometimes just don't worry about the writing skills. I write and I post. I realized just how 'sloppy" that is. I have to admit that time is a factor, lack of it but during this exercise I found that there are some things that I can do to use those writing skills more effectively.
1. Have a plan before you write-Know what your key points are before you start to write. Back in the days of the dinosaurs we called it an outline. Put your ideas down on paper in the order you want to present them. Use this like a blueprint.
2. Do your research-Will you need hyperlinks to websites that present more information on your point? Research them and write down the links
3. Write a rough draft-A rough draft is just that. Write out your blog etc and save it on a notepad etc. Come back later and read it. You may find that the point you thought you made was not clear, catch typos or just decide that it does not flow. You can then make any changes.
4. Use a spellchecker and or proofreader-Spellcheckers are great but remember they only check spelling, they won't tell you if you have used the correct word such as with 'They're" There" and "Their"
5. It's not a final draft until you are happy with it-you can tweak it as much as you like. When you are happy post it.