We all get many Virus warnings in our emails. In most cases from well meaning friends, but unfortunatly we also get them from people just out to cause alarm.
I find many Program Admins that just blindly pass on hoax warnings to their members, without taking a few seconds to check if it is true or not.
As a Program Admin you have a responsibility to your members NOT to pass on things to the members without first validating the information.
An admin of a traffic exchange today sent out to all their members about a virus that will destroy the 0 sector of the hard drive and it refers to Postcard Image.
it took me less than 30 seconds to go to symantec paste Postcard image into the search box and come up with this result.
As you can see it is a hoax. This means that that admin will now be the cause of god knows howmany false alarm emails being sent out.
The first thing I recommend doing when you receive a virus warning , no matter who sent it to you, is the following.
- Go to www.symantec.com
- Copy and past the Virus name given in the email into the right hand box at the top right of the page.
- Now click on the arrow at the right of this box.
- When the search results are displayed look at the list and select what looks like the most relevant result and click on its title.
- You should now have a page, which will tell you if it is a real virus or a Hoax.
- If you do not see anything that looks valid then look to see if there is a message at te bottom saying they have only displayed what they think are the most relevant items.
Click on the search again to include all items found..
If it’s a real virus by all means pass it on to your friends but include the url of the page that you found on Symantec and tell them to go and check the details.
If it is a Hoax, reply to your informant and send them the link telling them it is a Hoax and give them a copy of these instructions along with a recommendation to always check before passing such information.
The reason people start these hoax mails is to further tie up the Internet email system with yet more useless emails being sent along with the millions of useless spam mails that are sent out daily.
Be safe on the Internet and always check. Never assume its True, just as you should never assume it’s another Hoax.